Friday, October 24, 2008

commuting

I was having a rather pleasant ride to work this morning, enjoying the sunshine, the brisk air and my mug of pumpkin spice coffee. The light was green and there was no traffic at L Street - a rarity on the morning commute - and I continued to hit mostly green lights all along my route.

The merge onto Storrow can be tricky, however. For those of you unfamiliar, three lanes of traffic merge to form a two-lane Storrow Drive within 100 feet, before it later becomes three lanes after yet another two merges. This is complicated by several left exits. Commuters who drive this stretch every day typically take their time and are courteous to the drivers, most of whom have to make at least one lane change to get into their desired lane before suddenly being forced into an exit only lane, or the other way - to get to their required exit. Those who don't typically drive through there are easy to spot because they make abrupt lane changes or come to a complete stop in their lane to wait for someone to let them in, panicked that they will be forced off and get lost in the maze that is Boston.

I had the unfortunate incident in meeting one of the abrupt drivers this morning. As I was waiting for my opportunity to switch into the right lane, the driver to my right switched out of the lane, leaving a wide berth. Since I already had my blinker on, I started moving into the opening. The jerk behind me also switched into that lane and floored it, cutting me off, only to get ahead by an extra car length. I mean, this is traffic people! You're not getting anywhere faster than anyone else! There was enough room for the both of us to move into the opening had he not cut me off. The little VW Bug behind him saw this and waited for me to also move into the lane - no doubt a regular commuter. I was so torked by his ridiculousness that I honked at him and gave him the finger... to which he responded by slamming on his breaks in an attempt to get me to hit him as he watched me in his rearview mirror. How pleasant.

When Storrow turned into three lanes, I watched him ride up on other people and zig zag around causing unncessary havoc because he still wasn't getting anywhere.

But as I merged off of Storrow and drove over the Mass Ave bridge, I took in the beautiful sights of the Charles, where the city was just waking up. People running with their dogs, the autumn colors in the trees, the rowers on the river... and remembered all of the things I have to be thankful for, living in this city of ours.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Firstly Cute New Page!
I don't know how you do it. Driving to work with all those crazies. I agree though something about the river is calming.

KatieDid It said...

thank you! i needed to do some perking up!

the river is so purty. i get mad at myself if i get to the other side and have forgotten to take it all in. sometimes that damn billy costa distracts me ;)