Thursday, June 22, 2006

if one little eggy...

I've been slacking in lots of departments lately, the exercise one included. It was a warm evening, a good night to get out and stretch my limbs down at Castle Island.

As I was strolling, I came across a family having a minor meltdown, which is likely to happen in the summer heat after a long day. The mother held her toddler daughter in her arms as the little one wiped furiously at her face, red hot tears matting her hair down. They appeared to be in a standoff, staring across the boardwalk at dad and who must've been her twin brother, since they were the same size and, sadly, seemed to have the same haircut too. She, though, was in a dress and he had on the requisite blue outfit. You could tell that some sort of hitting or pinching fight had just transpired...

... and it reminded me of a conversation I've had within the past year or two with one of my friends. A story was being told about a brother and sister duo who are twins, and one of my brilliant friends asked, "Are they identical?"

Read that last line again if you must.

Um, NO, one has a penis and one has a vagina.

"Oh, ha, yeah I guess that make sense. But explain to me again how twins happen?"

If one little eggy splits in two, they are identical... if there's more than one little eggy...

"Oh, right..."

I wish I could remember who it was because, I'd like to a) harrass them about it again now and b) thank them for providing a much needed giggle after a trying day.

1 comment:

Laura said...

i think that was me???? :o